The Mission of the Homesharing Program is to provide matching services to enable home owners to stay in their homes by reducing costs and providing services, and to provide affordable rental opportunities in the region.
The homesharing program will match home owners who have space to offer and people looking for an affordable place to live. The homesharer would have three options:
- Pay rent to the home owner;
- Provide services to reduce rent, or
- Provide services to replace rent.
Homesharers typically have a private bedroom and share some common areas of the home. This arrangement can provide the services, support and safety net that allow seniors to age in place in their homes. The proposed homesharing program would be an agency-assisted model, providing counseling as part of the matching process. The homesharing program will provide services throughout the matching process, and periodic monitoring after matches are made, including:
- Program guidelines, procedures, forms, and model agreements
- Applications, background checks, and interviews
- Assisting with negotiating agreements
- Access to mediation services, if needed
For a people who want to stay in their homes and continue to live as independently as possible, shared housing is an affordable and viable alternative. In addition to reduced living costs, other benefits include shared household responsibilities, companionship, mutual support and help during an emergency.